Elena Zanone, social media manager for Cover Story Communications, discussed getting a foot in the door with the CBU PRSSA chapter November 19.
In her Mad Men-themed presentation, she spoke on her past experience as a PR professional as well as how what she did during and after college in order to get to where she is today. With an extensive and impressive resume, her knowledge on how to land a career one day working in-house PR or with a public relations agency was priceless.
Zanone also gave students tips on how to nail an interview and write a cover letter that will stand out to employers. She provided some of the best websites and apps to keep up with in order to stay up-to-date with current events in the media such as Thought Catalog, YFS Magazine, Social Media Today and Business to Community.
Zanone stressed the importance of social media with a video by Erik Qualman and staying current in a social media world.
Some points Elena touched on:
- B[e]rand yourself:
- Most people buy the idea of something; most employers buy into the idea of you.
- Have an elevator pitch describing you.
- How do you use social media personally?
- Choose an influential brand/celebrity you want to emulate in your personal life.
- Be consistent and active on the below platforms.
It was a pleasure to have Elena Zanone come and share her energy with the CBU PRSSA chapter and we look forward to having her again.
Click the link for Elena’s presentation: